Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Journey

I checked out a new church downtown on Sunday morning. It's called The Journey. I l o v e d i t.

I still don't know what came over me to try it. I woke up, it popped into my mind, I assumed I would contentedly sit alone and see what all the fuss is about. Plus, it is a couple blocks from La Iglesia which I help with on Sundays; I could do both.

I get out of my car, take a few steps and hear "Natalie???" It is Gwen, from the dorms freshman year who I haven't seen since. We chat for a bit when a car pulls up and someone yells, "Natalie, what are you doing here?!?" Emma from Cru at Mizzou!

(side note: as we are chatting, suddenly my head is yanked backwards -- my hair has been snarled in a tree. And I couldn't just tug it free - it was snarled... why do the most awkward things happen to me??? I feel like, was it Absolom, who had that beautiful hair and when he was riding into battle got it snarled in a tree and the enemy found him hanging and killed him? ok, weird.)

Inside there is stinking Ryan Krull from Mizzou! Cory Miller, who is in med school at SLU, runs up to us! So much for being alone. Already that is more people than I know at my parents' church that I've been going to for almost a year.

The worship music is simple and beautiful- a guitar and a djimbe (and an egg shaker!) You can actually hear the congregation singing-- I love that! You know how you can never hear anyone singing over the band? yeah, I'm tired of that.

The building is a beautiful old catholic church right across from Tower Grove Park in south city on Kingshighway, which they bought and remodeled when they needed more room (they've grown from 30 people in 2002 to over 1300 members now). Simple, beautiful, with pews and stained glass (I miss the stained glass in all those 'modern' churchees).

The pastor is young. The congregation is mostly young. It is packed. Casual. Modern. Good sermon on the holy spirit as they prepare to discuss spiritual gifts through July. They are into community, worship, beauty, service, ministry. It's beautiful. They have community groups doing BBQs this summer until Bible study restart in the fall.

It's pretty much what I have wanted to find in a church. And I just "accidently" stumbled upon it. Sometimes in the churches that I agree with the most, the members are so sheltered and conservative that I feel like I would never actually see them in real life, in the real world, impacting a real community. And then on the other side, some churches I feel are just empty. But the people here are real (and young!); I felt like I automatically belonged. Then I saw more people I knew in the service video... what the heck, this is St. stinking Louis, a city... how did I recognize so many people in a random place??

I don't know why it hit me so strong... maybe that I've been wandering, not feeling spiritually filled, lacking community, missing singing my heart out, rough days, finally journaling and talking through things with God just earlier that morning... but it just hit me right. Maybe I'll find out I was swept away in emotion and it's not so perfect (gasp!), but Sunday I felt good. It lifted me. And I am still excited a few days later! I felt maybe if God had led me there I wasn't wandering so alone and maybe He still had some things for me. I haven't felt that in a while.

I wish I could go back soon, but this week is Cornerstone, the next week Iglesia is doing all the services at our sponsor church... but the next week Matt will be here!!!!! and he is excited to check it out after he heard my enthusiasm.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him for the journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nat! Sounds like such a great experience! Praise God.

Man, having a real community of real Christians is so crucial to living the full life.

We don't have a church like that to belong to right now, but there is a new church coming to macomb called The Crossing (no relation to the one in Columbia, as far as I know) that we are so excited about. It starts in September. Having a vibrant community to belong to is so important!!!

It's a movement of God--SO many of us are learning about the centrality of real community. And I'm so thankful for it! It's definitely one of the main things we're missing in our individualistic western culture.

Thanks God!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I just read the article you had the link to.