Wednesday, May 23, 2007

without words

What if you don't know what to say anymore? Someone's intermittent sadness and negativity and self-deprecation is so depressing. You finally get it out of her what she's upset about... and you have nothing to say. Anything sounds trite, she's heard it all before....

*Being in a relationship won't change your life, attitude, or happiness.

*You're beautiful and loved.

*You're doing so well being strong... Don't renew your friendship with him although I know you're lonely and it's easy and comfortable to you. You've got to heal, get to know yourself, and fight those weaknesses that got you into that drawn-out situation in the first place. I'm sorry it's so hard.

*Stop feeding your emotions and negativity! Take every thought captive to the lordship of Jesus Christ....

She knows these things... but they're not truth in her life, they haven't sunk in. It doesn't make sense to me, but for some reason through nurture and/or nature I sometimes feel like the lone girl with this weird easy-going, "oh well, let's move on to something we can control" practicality. I wish I could relate better. I know it's hard for her, I know she's trying... sometimes her emotions just get the best of her.

If I tell her that someone thinking you're special won't really change your life or outlook or happiness, it just sounds like something someone already in a relationship would say.

So I wander away lamely. Blah...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes it's good to be without words. Sometimes only loving actions & presense will penetrate, when--as you observe--words & knowledge probably won't.

I just read the latest article on the Relevant feed, and it kind of reminded me of your post. Here is a clip:
---
But everyone has a story. Everyone has a past. Everybody has been shaped by something. One parent. No parents. Economic situation. Rape. Culture. Orphaned. Pain. Struggle. Lack of pain and struggle. Death. Divorce. Privilege. Popularity. People are shaped by situations and the people that surround them.

Everyone has a story.

And when you know someone’s story, it changes everything, doesn’t it? Your friends who act certain ways, ways which would annoy you if they were a stranger, are given grace because you know them. You understand them. He acts that way because of this, and she does those things because of that. You understand. Everyone who knows them understands.

It’s the strangers, though …

When we come to the realization that everyone has a story, it changes how we treat people. When you see a man on a plane being abnormally loud, you know that he might be that way because of something in his past, and that thing most likely isn’t his fault. Or maybe it is. Either way, there’s a story, and because there’s a story, there is grace.

And if I went through every day with this mentality, would it change me? Would I act differently? Would people perceive me to be someone new? Someone different?

And what if an entire community embraced this idea?

I think it might change the world.
---