Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dr. Hipps - so hip!

I had my first visit to the girlie doctor yesterday. Yes, that one. My doctor didn't make a big deal that I was 23 and just now having my first checkup. That made me feel better since I had heard on NPR that all women should go annually once they turn 21 and some places online said by age 18 (and of course immediately if you are sexually active). I was also concerned that she wouldn't believe me that I was not sexually active, and more than that, had never had sex... but she took me at my word. Some of my friends felt like their doctors thought they were trying to cover it up. No, it's weird, but true.

At least for me, my experience wasn't bad at all. Supposedly it helps if you wear tampons. It was uncomfortable and, well, weird, but it wasn't painful. But still it's like, your hand is where?!

Plus my doctor was so sweet and nice (and on time!?!?)-- I recommend her to everyone! She explained everything and was so sweet and very supportive. Plus her name is Dr. Hipps -- what a great name for ob-gyn! Like my old dentist's name: Dr. Gentles :-)

I got in there right in time because today my little red friend came to visit.... and I feel horrible. Maybe I should have tried to explain more indepth about how bad my cramps are every month. She suggested calcium suppliments - has anyone else heard that?

What everyone wanted to hear about, I'm sure! Does anyone have any good stories or horror stories of their womanly visits?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll comment more later, but both of those are amazing doctor names--hipps for an obgyn and gentles for a dentist?!!!

(whispering) do you not usually wear tampons??

nataliemma said...

No, I do wear tampons, that was my reasoning why my visit wasn't as bad as some people's I've heard.

I'm glad you enjoyed my drs' names!

Anonymous said...

got it. very true.

i remember my first visit--right before getting married. it was the thing to do! it was pretty weird (the bird beak tool??), but it was fine. the obgyn in macomb actually goes to church with us, but i saw his assistant--a wonderful, nice lady. which is really good, i think, because if i had seen him, it seems like i would feel awkward after that seeing him at church...? i don't know.

i actually haven't been back since that first time...just haven't really thought about it much and have been doing fine...