Monday, September 24, 2007

Osceola/Memphis

After work Friday Charity & I drove about four hours to Osceola, Arkansas. My old buddy from college, Corky, has been working there as a Main Street town planner. I think it sounds really interesting-- planning, organizing, revitalizing, developing a community. Good in theory, I think, but Corky ran into small town politics and all that jazz... blech.

Saturday we drove to Memphis and spent the day walking and touring around. Saw "3:10 to Yuma" - pretty good. The Western is back! We walked Beale Street. We saw the famous ducks at the Peabody and even returned at 5pm to watch them march on the red carpet and up the elevator to their penthouse sweet to retire until the next morning... but there were a few hundred people there before us, so we were not able to actually see the ducks waddle off.

At Corky's bachelor pad (a newly renovated and cozy servant quarter/guest house behind a farm house) we watched a lot of Arrested Development. On our way home Sunday, Charity & I stopped at Lamberts' -- Home of the Throwed Rolls!! I love that place. Glutton's delight :)

I've enjoyed these past two weekends traveling and visiting old friends. Don't worry, Linny, I'm trying to decide on a weekend to hit McDonough Co.!

I found $208 roundtrip tickets to Boston in about a month for a long weekend with Mattie... but I just checked and my midterm is over that time. BOO! We were thinking about catching a bus to New York City for the weekend. Sigh. Maybe I can find cheap tickets for him to fly to Missouri for his Thanksgiving break. Being alone in a big city when all the students fly home isn't ideal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like lots of fun!

i'm waiting for my turn.

;)

actually, i'm trying to get down to STL to see you. let's work that out.