Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World

I just got an email that "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is now available for me at the library! Woo! I have heard some people say that this one is better than "The Kite Runner" but I can't imagine how that could be.

I am reading "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: an Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children". It is very inspiring. A guy left a high-status, glamorous, expatriate lifestyle as an executive in Microsoft to work full-time bringing schools and libraries and books to developing countries. !!!!!!!

He used the same reasoning that I roll around in my head... sure, there would be a hole for a few months and I'd let down my team and bosses and my friends and family wouldn't understand but I would be replaced in a few months and forgotten. People will always line up to do my job. Not everyone will line up to do this*. What is the point of having an education and so many privileges if you keep them to yourself to become fatter and richer and smarter? How distressingly selfish. Can you imagine being so thirsty to learn and read as those in the stories he shares? The developing world values such crazy things that we over here in the west have forgotten still have innumerable worth. How can everything, everything be taken for granted as the US has learned so well?

*what my this is, I am still trying to figure out....

No comments: