Thursday, September 13, 2007

A new school year

Fine! Adoring public... here I am!

First, I am really looking forward to the coziness of fall. There's something in the air... the crisp air is getting me excited. Not sure why. Usually fall makes me sad because warmness is leaving.

I have continued attending the Journey. Some weeks I will go and not see anyone, some weeks I am overwhelmed by the amount of people, mostly if not all from Mizzou, that I see and want to reconnect with. But every week I learn and worship and gather some strength and perspective to keep going. It's a beautiful church. Supposedly our pastor and Donald Miller are BFFs.

"Love God. Connect People. Transform the World." We're taking St. Louis first!

I'm getting my first chances to get involved. Like a lot of things, everything kind of starts again in fall. I emailed a random guy and will be helping & cleaning up a block party October 5th in downtown STL near Forest Park to meet and reach a new neighborhood. I just signed up yesterday for a small group which will meet Thursdays at 7pm in UCity (where I would love to move after this lease is up). I'm so pumped to know a core group of people and discuss and challenge each other about the sermons. With a church this big, the leaders emphasize small groups as how you will connect and build your family in Christ. I hope I find some wonderful, godly, fun people -- I'm pumped to widen my circle. It's so freaking hard to meet people in "the real world."

I went to an info meeting for St. Louis Young Life... that's a big commitment. You're going after, hunting down, and befriending disinterested high schoolers. I like Young Life in that it's not just another youth group or clique for already churched-to-death teens. The only schools that they're at are in the wealthiest high schools in St. Louis county... I wondered how this happened. I had never even heard of YL until I went to college. They are beginning at one "urban" (that's what they call it!) high school this fall. It'd be good experience, a taste of what I'd be getting into with Teach for America. I wish the the eight weeks of info meetings were at a better time --I'm out of town and will have to miss at least 2/8 of the info meetings, plus I would have to skip Iglesia for the rest... sheesh...

Jen and I want to volunteer at a foster home where we would hang out with a room of foster care girls once a week, help with homework, provide some guidance and fun... While reading the Bible with God's command to especially take care of the orphan and the widow, I realized I didn't think I knew an orphan and went in search. Hopefully the lady will call me back soon...

I'm trying to think and pray this through. I don't want to overcommit but it's so hard when I'm like "so much to do! so much needs to be done!" Doing lots excites me. I feel best when I'm busy and on the go!

After I had started my job, I realized how on-the-go I had been for eight years. Literally like commitments all day, living by my planner to tell me where I was going....ALL through high school and college. Post-college I realized how much I had been doing and wondered if I was fulfilled... after being out of it for so long, I know I do need to make room for more rest than I was aloting myself in the old days, but I think I have come to the conclusion that it's how I'm wired.

Also.... grad school starts next week! Mondays 6-9pm this semester. Gotta love those 14-hour days. This semester: Equity Markets. I will have to actively "manage" a $500,00 portfolio. It's going to be challenging but interesting, I think.


Usually I have time at work to update everyday. I think I will try to. This one got a little out of control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you! *cheering*

so great to hear about your life, nat. i don't even know what to comment on because that was so much information!

the journey sounds just great. i am so excited to go there with you when i visit you...whenever that will be! soon, i hope.

that is so interesting to hear you talk about the way you are wired to want to be busy. because i'm like, the opposite! i'm always craving time for introspection/stillness type of stuff and i feel like that's what drives me. i would love to discuss this with you more over a cup of coffee/vanilla chai.

that's what i really miss with our friendship--face to face time to just talk. but then there's my personality type coming through again--my favorite thing to do with someone is sit and talk. you'd probably be like, let's go DO something together! or would you? i don't know!

anyway, i just love your thoughts and i always kind of dream of getting to talk with you more face-to-face. phone is okay for general news-sharing, but not for like, thought-provoking conversations, you know?

i feel like we'll be the type of cousins when we get older who will have this regular weekend-together that we do like 2 or 3 times a year...don't you think? we could start it now...

all right, this is getting awfully long for a comment. oh! and i got your voicemail--definitely call tomorrow late afternoon. christin is coming to macomb for the afternoon/evening to visit and so we should be together and we can put you on speakerphone and both talk to you! fun.

MeredithJoy said...

so glad that you are back friend!!!!